To his Excellency Mr. Antonio Guterres
Greetings to you and hope you are well.
We write to you on an urgent matter regarding the death penalties that have been issued by Bahrain’s courts after the February 2011, following the Arab Spring Uprising.
Numerous reports and cases have demonstrated that Bahrain’s courts have largely contravened Article 10 (fair hearing by impartial court) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and Article 6 (right to not have life arbitrarily deprived) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The courts have continually ignored claims that the security apparatus caused the deaths, tortured prisoners, extracted false confessions and fired live rounds during the crackdown on peaceful protests.
We implore you, in light of the strong claims that these death penalties are being carried arbitrarily and discriminately, especially against political prisoners Sami Mushaima, Ali Al-Singace, and Abbas Al-Samea’, to urgently intervene in this matter, help release these prisoners, and oblige Bahrain to properly follow standards and laws set out by international human rights laws.
We thank his Excellency for his efforts and interests, and wish he would take these concerns with the upmost care and concern.
1. Bahrain Centre for Human Rights
2. Bahrain Forum for human Rights
3. Bahraini German Organization for Human Rights
4. Bahrain Human Rights Observatory
5. Bahrain Human Rights Society
6. Gulf Institute for Democracy and Human Rights
7. SALAM for Democracy and Human Rights
8. The European-Bahraini Organization for Human Rights